Who doesn't love a one dish dinner?? This recipe is so good and easy and can be prepared a day before.
* 2 10-3/4-ounce cans reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
* 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
* 3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
* 1 10-ounce can black beans, drained
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 12 6- or 7-inch corn tortillas, cut into thin, bite-size strips
* 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
* 1 8-ounce package (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
* Tomato slices
* Sliced green onions
1. Combine soup, tomatoes with chiles, sweet pepper, onion, black beans, chili powder, and black pepper; set aside.
2. To assemble, sprinkle about one-third of the tortilla strips over the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart rectangular casserole. Layer half of the chicken over tortilla strips; spoon half of soup mixture on top. Sprinkle half of the cheese and another one-third of the tortilla strips over the soup mixture. Layer with remaining chicken, soup mixture, and tortilla strips.
3. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree oven about 45 minutes or until bubbly around edges and center is hot. Remove from oven; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, top with sliced tomatoes, green onions and sour cream. Makes 8 servings.