Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ohhh Running

I definitely was not born a runner. I started running in Middle School because we were forced to do it during basketball and I actually enjoyed it and have continued to run on and off ever since. Running to me is about setting personal goals and achieving personal victories. I ran the St. Jude Half Marathon last year. It was my first half and I loved it. There is just something about the people cheering, high-fives, bands, going through the St. Jude campus, the funny signs (my favorite was one at mile 10 that said...Your feet are hurting because your kicking a$$!!), hearing your name announced once you cross the finish line in Autozone park, and even the random belly dancers in front of Wendy's that keep you going no matter how bad your feet, legs and knees are aching. Seeing the finish line in the distance and getting that shiny medal gives you a feeling of accomplishment you never forget.
I have signed up for the St. Jude half again and am hoping to kick last years time in the butt! :) The Memphis heat is horrendous so in June I decided to go ahead and start training and getting up every morning and running at least 3 miles. I honestly didn't think I would stick with this but here I am 8 weeks and 127 miles later.

Since my hubby bailed on me and will not be running in it this year...if any of my 3 readers would like to join me when it's cooler at Shelby Farms for long runs- let me know! :)


I will leave this exciting blog post with a song from U2 that's always included on my running play list...


I have climbed highest mountains
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you
I have run
I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls
Only to be with you

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in her fingertips
It burned like a fire
This burning desire

I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

I believe in the Kingdom Come
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Bleed into one
But yes I'm still running

You broke the bones
And you loosed the chains
Carried the cross
Of my shame
Of my shame
You know I believe it

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

1 comment:

  1. I love you, but count me OUT. I will not be joining you in this race. :) Maybe next year. You know I hate to run though, so don't count on it.

    ReplyDelete